Monday, September 13, 2010

The Deck & The Green Grass



I don't know when our home looked so beautiful. For the last month, pretty much without fail, I've had the luxury of sitting outside and absorbing the rays. The weather has been delightful and it's brought new vitality to each moment. At times I've even feared a sunburn. Can you imagine a sunburn in Tacoma?

Who said I didn't have a retirement? These last days have been more than a retirement. Without the hassle of travel, the added expense of extra luggage and the charges for better seating, use of pillows and blankets my front and rear of the house have been heavenly. Sheila did countless flower pots while she was with us and they are truly beautiful and accent the beauty of nature. The rabbits and birds have been constant companions. The rabbits seem to be younger and filled with vitality. At first we thought them a threat to the flower pots, but the cones on the ground seemed to be sufficient enough for them. The birds came and went. All of a sudden they were everywhere. They returned to their old haunts and refurnished their nests around the house and on the house. I had my own seat for their cycle of bringing new life to our area. It's hard to put a number on the births. All came into this world without the aid of mid-wife or doctor. I wasn't aware of any c sections. The first days when they peeked over the edge of their nests were exciting. I even became accustomed to their language of hunger and the flight plans of parents each day to provide sustenance to their young. The last few weeks have again quieted down as the young "flew the coop". However, those weeks were really pleasant as I sat and meditated, read the newspapers and finished a few books. I even got in a sketch of the front yard which was fun. If I only had talent, painting would be incredible. I sat out for hours and Kris joined me one day for well over eight o'clock.

We've taken a few baby steps in moving towards Denver. Our neighbor sat with us one afternoon and shared loads of ideas and practical help. I was happy as can be because he reinforced many of the points I made. It's easy when another comes up with things because it feels like you're swimming against the tide when their yours. We have even given up some things. Some, but not much.

I don't know how many of you may have seen South Pacific on PBS but if you did I'm sure you felt the same as Kris and I, magnificent. The stars and cast were A number one Broadway. Being blessed with wide screen it was almost like front row center at Times Square. What a pleasure! You must watch channel 9 and its great programming. An education with every show. I hope you also tune into the cspan's to see for yourself what is happening in Washington by watching the congressional hearings on important legislation. Enough of that, I don't get a commission for my tv recommendations.

One of our neighbors is in need of your prayers. He is a young guy who just went through his second bone marrow transplant. His wife lost her father to Multi Myeloma. Like me he was only given a few days to live and that's what happened. The father, shortly after his diagnosis died. I must have been one of the first with the new medications. Tom is the father of a young baby . He is a lawyer with a very bright future. His wife needs those prayers so don't let her down. There is an auction for them today. The family has to rent a second residence in Seattle while Tom is treated for his cancer. Don't let him down.

No comments: