Monday, October 06, 2008

Finally Getting Out of the Dog (Cat) House.





Prior to Denver we made plans for our therapeutic cat, Laura. We were going to leave her alone and for the first time we'd be gone for two weeks. We thought it best to leave her in an environment she knew well - our home. Tim and Debi lived up to their promise of visiting almost every other night, and on some occasions spending the night. Laura thought it was not enough. She chose to reward their labors by either hiding when they came. They could not find her anywhere, which sent them into panic mode. When she thought that was not enough pay back, she decided to tell them she was alive and kicking. She began by leaving clues to her presence in different rooms. We were not able to bring Tim and Debi much solace being so far away.

When we got home we were overcome by the newness of the house. It had been Spring cleaned and picked up to the point we didn't recognize it. They worked day and night. There wasn't one clue that would indicate what a brat she had been. It took 1/2 day before she would come out from hiding and greet us. We have now made amends and friendship has been restored.

I've really attempted to show restraint in boring you with stories of my WONDER CAT. She has truly been great for me and has gone a long way in often bringing a smile to my face, a relief from pain, just when I needed it, or simply feeling better because I believe for what it's worth that the "purr" is for me personally. Nothing is funnier than me hearing the crash of pots, the screams of anger, and the cry for help coming from a soaked cat as Kris and Laura begin another day in preparing my coffee. Their love/hate relationship in those first moments of day is incredible. Laura's foster parents must have taught her well in driving the new owners berserk.

I think I'm lucky because Laura hasn't a clue about cancer. She still thinks everything is wonderful with the world, and when I let my guard down, I also am tempted to believe things aren't really as bad as I might think. This past week was the feast day of St. Francis of Assi. He got it straight.

No comments: