Friday, October 31, 2008

Community Pool – No Swimming

I’ve now entered into another new world - the elderly and maimed exercise pool. You have all stopped at one time or another to peek over at them in an isolated area of the pool. You’ve felt a little guilty in sneaking a peek, but curiosity always got the better of you.

There were usually no exceptions to the age requirement. All seemed to be in their 90’s with the only exception being an individual with an apparent illness or injury. Although noisy, they were never rowdy. Frequently a smile on each individuals face, but usually a scowl that said don’t thread on me. Their territory was not very inclusive and was not welcome to increased membership. The fewer the better was an unspoken requirement of this elite gathering. Well, this week I dared to enter their world.

I spent the last month - one day a week - in the physical fitness pool of my recuperation program. A painful and grossly difficult place where I set out to walk again. It was a small well heated pool hidden away within the facility. It had a very nice bathroom and shower area next to the pool. Unlike your normal community pool set up Kris was able to enter with me and assist in getting me ready. Most often a challenge because of my stockings and unhealed back. Once prepared in my superman suit I walked out with walker to one of the benches. There I sat in preparation of being hoisted into the air and down into the pool. It was an area approximately 10 X 8. (I think!) Once there I attempted to walk and do all my exercises under the direction of Brian, my trainer. For one full hour, with minutes of rest, I exhausted myself and prepped my body for a good night’s sleep. It was a great experience and showed later in my walk. The pain that followed was like that of the Olympic athlete.

The community pool is administered by two young lifeguards. My afternoon group consisted of about 15 who were all part of an exercise class. I was seeking a small spot where I could do my exercise. I was able to use my electric wheelchair to move around the bathroom and pool area. What a blessing. Once poolside the fires of hell engulfed me in the utter coldness of the pool. It was absolute torture in moving down the ladder. My body restricted my body to VERY SLOW. With each step and movement my body went into a cold numbness I had never experienced before. I wanted to cry but restrained myself. Had I not already emptied my bladder I would have done so without control. Once in the pool the cold remained, never to cease during my stay. I thought one elderly woman was approaching me to assist but rather she wanted me to get out of the way. However, another made suggestions that did help. When finished, Kris and I returned to the men’s locker area where she helped me dry and redress. Coward that I am, I will not return again until I solve the problem of the cold. Perhaps a wet suit would help? I would not hesitate to wear one.

Today, I return to my physical fitness pool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Frank,
They make lighter weight wet suits that are full body and what they call shorties which do the upper body and the thighs only. They also have some that are like long johns which are open like bib overalls. I would try a short bib overall type first because they are easier to put on and take off. I use a short bib overall when I do triathlons. easy on and off is the best thing plus the core is kept warmer. I think REI has them. In fact I could loan you mine to try out. You can get in a warm shower to fill up/saturate the wet suit before getting in to ease the transition. rubber swim caps could help too. Call if interested. Congratulations on the first swim workout. Stay in the game. Pat

Anonymous said...

My son obtained two wet sits for me. I will first use them at the Physical Fitness pool. If I have success there I will use them more frequently at the high school pool. Many thanks for your continued support.

Anonymous said...

One suggestion I might make to cancer victims would be to have your family and friends do an inventory of used fitness equipment. I didn't know my son has a stationary bike which will help a lot. All that stuff is so expensive.