Thursday, September 25, 2008

To Denver - From Denver, With Love






Three weeks ago, Kris and I flew off to spend two weeks with Tara, Jim, and Zoe. At the end of the runway, Tara and Zoe awaited our arrival and whisked us to their beautiful home. Jim and Kellan were on the soccer field.

During those two weeks, I again experienced the wonder of God allowing me to live past those six days three years ago. I can't be more thankful that my life has not been restricted to tubes, but instead full of potential only slightly limited. They had rented a hospital bed for me which provided the comfort and rest needed to function better. Once again I found myself on the soccer field. It brought back memories of rooting like a fool for Kellan's mom and uncles. Nice memories. No less exciting to me was my watching my 2 year old grand daughter, Zoe, at her gymnastics practice. She immediately forgot my being there as she walked along the beam like an Olympian of just a few weeks ago. However, the biggest moment came when "Mr. So Important," Kellan, had his grand Ma/Dad visit his kindergarten. "Let me show you. This is my teacher," 'he's a great kid.' "This is our blackboard and here is my stuff, let me show you this and that." I was in seventh heaven. We captured a little bit of their growth before having to return home. The weather was great, and I was able to sit outside in my wheelchair. It felt like Brooklyn as I met many of the neighbors coming and going. That part of my life is now over, and I am back in my own hospital bed still a little exhausted, but totally enriched.

Have you inventoried your last two weeks and are you any less enriched. I doubt it very much, but at times, I do think we miss the real "stuff" of life dwelling too much in the past and future. It's only "now" that we have been gifted with. Careful that you don't allow Tara to become Mrs. Munholland without sharing every moment with her. What a shame that would be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Frank,

I was pleased to read that you were able to travel to Denver for what you described as a wonderful visit. I hope that the ability to travel is again achieved.
I was in Key West when I received your e-mail two weeks ago and after I send this note will prepare to fly to Boston tomorrow morning. Susan is in Pittsburgh today and will meet me there for a week of travel in New England.

I am well. All test results following surgery have been positive in that they have been negative. I did not require radiation. So we had some setbacks at the beginning of retirement but all is full speed ahead.

We live in a community where there are many healthy and not so healthy retirees who say " do enjoy life now, travel, and be involved for you don't know tomorrow. We are doing that.

I know we never got together to view our Africa pictures. I hope to do that soon.

Following our return from New England, three days later I travel to Fort Leonard Wood for two weeks. October will disappear. So my retirement is not totally complete but close. I'll close now but will write soon.

Take care---Peter

Kevin said...

This post reminds me of a Kurt Vonnegut quote that I absolutely love:

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"

Anonymous said...

Peter, I am playing catch up. Can't always tell when I run out of time or simply in the wrong cycle of my medicinal cycles, so I'm going back and playing a form of catch up.

I'm glad to see that your treatments didn't take the "travel bug" out with the bad bugs. You sound so very positive which is doubly great because I was anticipating things continuing to be bad. Makes me joyful and happy to hear the good news. I could die a happy man if I never heard the word cancer again. Hang in there!