Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hi Everyone

Apologies for the lack of consistency in posting to the blog. You may recall me referring to my cancer as a yo-yo with its ups and downs, and then upgrading it to a roller coaster. Well, once again, I must upgrade, and this time I would liken it to a bungee cord. I have had my meds changed from thalidomide to revlimid (Lenalidomide). I'ved tried to take information from Wikipedia, and it may/may not make sense. It has great potential while also having great risks. Again, your prayers would go a long way to make a difference.

Revlimid affects the immune system. It helps promote immune responses to prevent inflammation in the body. Revlimid treats anemia (a lack of red blood cells in the body) and multiple myeloma (cancer resulting from a progressive blood disease).
Revlimid is a derivative of thalidomide introduced in 2004. It was initially intended as a treatment for multiple myeloma, for which thalidomide is an accepted therapeutic modality, but has also shown efficacy in the hematological disorders known as the myelodysplastic syndromes. Lenalidomide are considered therapeutic breakthroughs in myeloma, which generally carries a poor prognosis. It was approved by the FDA on December 27, 2005.

No comments: