Monday, September 03, 2007

This Wheel Chair Has a Motor.

Yes freedom has arrived and after almost 2 years in bed. Except for medical related issues, I am out of prison. It is a dream machine – the Lamborghini of the wheelchair world. It can go 25 miles on one battery charge and it can do that at 6 miles per hour. It’s not easy for others to keep up with me.

This past weekend Mike and Jessie drove Kris and I to a Peace Corps friend’s wedding in Leavenworth. It was a great get-away for all of us. I knew the gal from my visit to Jamaica and knew them both from their visits to my home here after their return and relocation to Seattle and Deanna’s return to graduate school and work towards her Ph.D.

My pain changes constantly with medications and leaves me working with my doctors to reach some sort of stability - which I believe we are closing in on. My patch, which is an opiate, is just about at the top of the scale, but it has brought relief now that has been working for two weeks.

My new wheelchair brings with it – its own side effects. Edema is beginning to settle in. At the end of a day from sitting up in the chair – my feet, ankles and lower extremities of my legs are one big scary swollen mess. Today I went to be custom measured for my new beige compression stockings. They should be here within two weeks, and they should be “pretty.” Thank God for having the right insurance – the wrong insurance would have result in an “off the shelf” compression stocking that they claim would not really work well. She thought that some damage has already taken place and wanted to prevent as much as possible in the future. She was very pleased with the containment steps I had taken even not knowing what to do. This is one of those things that can lead to serious side effects that become no fun. I should have the stockings within the next two weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey frank,
Good to hear you are more mobile. It is good to be able to go and do. I am nearing the completion of a full circle. bought the 4 plex. The one I wanted out most obliged by burning up the unit. I am 95% complete on fixing that. The next one I helped move out this past 31st. She left me two loads to the dump one in a pickup and the other on a car hauler. I painted her garage this saturday. white and clean. rented my old unit and the dirty one for a hefty rent increase and have one tenant family who are a joy to have. I will keep them as long as they are willing to stay. I just raised thier rent a little. so I have now picked my own tenants and have to live with my choices. I,ve done more remodel on my own with this one. Lerning alot more and have more patience to get it done. God is Good to me. I hope to see you sometime. They make those stocking in black by the way.p