Monday, November 20, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey out there – how about a few extra prayers – PLEASE!

Happy Thanksgiving – a time to remember the nation’s history with a personal integration of our own thanksgiving.

I venture in two different directions in November. I’ve started a new meds regiment, and I’m going to put myself on retreat. Maybe you can join me for both.

The doctor has been so pleased with my progress that he is going to kick it up a notch. I’ve been off thalidomide for the last three weeks and on Revlimide for this past week. It better work better – it is $6,000+ for a three week dosage. It costs us - on a new medication program - $10. We are still kissing the floor. The Army hospital pays $6,000 a shot for an anticoagulant in their emergency room – I don’t know what the soldier's share of that cost is. The emergency room docs in Iraq consider this drug a miracle, others have major concerns. It is given in the emergency room whenever there has been massive blood loss, and it works like nothing ever before. However, they have found a sufficient number of people later go on to heart attacks or strokes, or other traumatic side effects. Surgeons say the risk doesn't outweigh the good effects. They would be dealing with immediate death. My family, myself and the doc are going in with eyes wide open.

Last weeks blood test (prior to the new drug) was pretty bad. I have another reading coming up on Wednesday and then at least one blood test a week for the next six weeks – then punt. Nota Bene – all the Army information came from a recent News Tribune Article.

The term – retreat – is used in many different organizations (business, religious, military, govt.) with variations, depending upon the organization. Mine will be a religious retreat. Since I once had the official title of Spiritual Director, I, like a fool, will be my own director. I will focus on every third day for the next month and stick to a rigid routine for each of those days (Ha/Ha). I’ll be saying some prayers that will change depending upon the theme of the day. Meditation time will be integrated into all of the activities of the day. Readings for this period will be heavy in the religious area inclusive of philosophy – theology – tradition – priesthood and sacramental life. My prayers and meditations will be a mix of formal – hymns – psalms, etc, but much of it will come from me writing them myself. A great deal of emphasis will be placed on last things and secular and religious saints.

I’ve probably turned most of you off by now, but I’m excited and hope I’ll live up to the plan. I’ll be thinking about you and hope you’ll be doing the same for me. It’s going to be a very positive retreat. I’d love to capture some of this in creative water color or pastel.

Again, any and all reflections are appreciated. All of your support has been invaluable. You have made the difference, and that difference gave me 12 months of life that was not meant to be there for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the entire family and don't eat too much Turkey. I'm surprised that Chloe could not negotiate away that last $10 copay. It hardly seems worth pulling it out of your wallet.

The Ashley FamilyTim