Thursday, September 14, 2006

Laura – My Therapeutic Kitten

It works! You’ve read all the stuff about animals improving the morale of the sick. Well! Why not give it a shot and that’s exactly what we did.

We went shopping at the Pound for a kitten. The first time they (family) went without me and came back discouraged. The youngest kitten was about 96 yrs. old. About two weeks later I went with them. There was Laura and we knew right away – that’s our gal. She had been left on their doorstep at two hours old and been in foster care till that morning – 2 months old. The woman who had her was there. They had already rejected two families. The woman told us that Laura was a dream – all shots – housebroken = spayed – people friendly and a television freak. We got her.

Presently, we’re fighting about whose room this is and whose stuff in said room is mine. I’m losing. You know those little finger protections you use when you’re dealing with a lot of paper - her favorite toy. I’m teaching her with a modicum of success – how to fetch. Some of the no-nos requiring a water shot to the body: nails or claws on me (no longer a problem) playing with wires, climbing on screens, not saying thank you when I give her a treat.

I can’t speak for her, but I think we have a great relationship. She frequently sleeps with me during naps, fetches when I play with her and just loves to be stroked. We got us a winner. You know what – when I’m running after her – I don’t have much time to think about cancer. We should start one more program – Kittens for Cancer.

It’s been a good week. I keep stretching myself out – at my pace – under my guidance – with a smile on my face. I still feel selfish – because of the many people who want to come and I just can’t accommodate. That stress really sets me back. All should know that there is not a single thing that has been done for me or my family that has gone unnoticed. They are all welded in our hearts. E-mail allows me to control communication and it is the best vehicle for me. Phone is just a no-no for me. I can’t handle it right now. My daughter Tara says – so what’s new?

Have a great week and hang in there.

- Frank

No comments: