Monday, July 24, 2006

The heat wave, the doctor, and me.

How are you all handing the heat? The news from across the nation is not good, and my good old NY looks the worst of any with the exception of St. Louis.

Each day I attempt to stretch myself out further. This past week I ha’ve attempted to work on my room. I'’m trying to relieve some of the pressures on my family. They have done so much for me. If I could take better care of myself and then move on to make a little contribution here and there I'’d feel a little better inside of me. I'’ve needed more attention than my new granddaughter Zoe. I don'’t cry as loud as she does, but I also don'’t have the beautiful smile she has.

Kris and I left the doctor last week with the distinct impression that the immediacy of my death may have passed. We don'’t know what that means. It'’s so hard to figure out because of the nature of my cancer and because of the high levels of medication that I'’m still on. However, it was good news, and I owe a profound debt to those who have remembered me and those who have prayed for me. Although unworthy of your prayers, I thank you for them.

I still have my good days and my bad days, but in general they are getting better. I'’ve picked up my paint brush, continue to read and have written a small book on the cancer experience of the last nine months.

- Frank

No comments: