Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blog 2008

Another period of delay in getting back to you. The time has been absolutely full with visitors, medical visits and treatments along with some pretty serious transitions from one medical treatment into another.

We (Kris) has my transitions down to the hour – at any given period of morning or night she can tell you exactly where I am coming from – where I am now and where I will be heading for - all things being equal. It’s that all things being equal is the monkey wrench of most transition periods. This time it was a terrible case of the flu. I just didn’t feel I had enough energy to throw into the fight. The news from the doctor my last visit was again excellent. I continue to be in remission. All readings remain positive except for one which he believes he can control with a little TLC. Major organs remain in good shape. However, each new cycle seems a little tougher to get through. With your continued prayers and remembrances, we’ll bring this through another year. One of the guys who died from church last month had a great request. He asked anyone who would like to spend that last week with him might want to come by and visit him at hospice. Just come and spend an hour of silence with him and then go home. He thought it might be mutually beneficial for both of them. Great idea. Up to the end I used to watch him come to church and lift his own wheel chair out of his car. I would never dare try to join the list of rejected - no thank you guy’s and gal’s.

A big thank you to Pat Ryan for taking Monty Pope’s other grand father and myself to the flight line along at McChord last week. Pat was kind enough to wait the last two years for this visit with me. He’s answered every blog and has just been there in the background waiting for such a request, and I thank him for his understanding and goodness. It gave Kris the morning off and we had a great time visiting under the wing and bull&%^$& - while the rains came down, and Mr. Wayne Kier and the Sgt. went aboard the plane and played pilot and special visitor without another crew member or visitor aboard. It was the first cargo plane of its kind turned over to the Air Force by Boeing (better days) and was going out for a month with its crew at noon that day.

Easter Season was tough. Easter was spent in the hospital. I was unable to stand any longer on the way back to bed and others were just about able to keep me up. Finally we were instructed that this was a clear emergency because of the cancer, and we were to get to hospital emergency via paramedics asap. It probably was my new medication and things had to be brought into realignment. The paramedics were great as usual, and I could not be any more pleased with my crew. They were marvelous and had me stabilized immediately, and I was calmed by my daughter-in-law who rode with us. She is our nurse practitioner out of Vanderbilt and her growth and maturity is just wonderful. She was with me through the entire journey. What a blessing for both Kris and I.

Doctor met me immediately and promised he would work with me and my blood tests along with oncologist for as long as it required. All my kids came to the party, for there was nothing to do for most of the day. Finally doctor said I was good to go and problems were probably related to new medication. As soon as Doctor left, Debi began to remove all hookups able got me ready to be checked out, NURSE was still tied up by others. It was six o’clock pm.

Off we went once paperwork was signed - only to wake up the next morning by passing blood in my urine – again thought to be an extremely critical condition because of the cancer. IT WAS ALMOST TOO MUCH FOR KRIS TO TAKE WITHOUT ANY PREPARATION. Thank God for family, and again, in a special way for Debi, who cleared the way. Kris, Tim and I made it to the hospital and made sure all understood it was an emergency, which it was, all dully recorded in records.

It was to be a crazy day in ER – cops - and my room was needed for securing prisoner. Cop was sitting at door reading comic book – second cop was requested to help secure first cop - staff person used racial description of prisoner and insulted staff – paramedics were furious – boss of ambulance crews met supervisor to supervisor. Debi prepared me for leaving as soon as doctor said he would clear me – nurse was appreciative - and I was out the door hoping this would be my last visit to the tomb for awhile, because if they were looking for me, they would not find me there. Kris and I were quietly leaving the territory by the back door. We were learning something on every visit, but there sure had to be an easier way to learn.

God certainly has been good to me. Are we all getting ready for that fourth year. Be patient with me as the journey continues. My grand-son Kellan sent me a get well and Easter card that he did himself, and I loved it. Please excuse this long Epistle after this continued journey through the valley into the promised land and his embrace of love, friendship and forgiveness. Hang in there. Luv yu all!!!

No comments: